Emma Corrin is from Tunbridge Wells in Kent. She graduated from Cambridge University. Her acting credits include an episode of Grantchester in 2018, in which she played a character called Esther Carter.
She also features in the yet-to-be-released movie Misbehaviour, about a group of women who plot to disrupt the 1970 Miss World beauty contest in London – which also stars Keeley Hawes, Jessie Buckley, Gugu Mbatha-Raw and Keira Knightley. Emma landed the role of Princess Diana after she reportedly ‘captivated’ casting directors.
The casting of one of The Crown’s most prominent characters, Lady Diana Spencer, has been announced by the period drama’s creators. Netflix confirmed that actress Emma Corrin will join the Season 4 cast of “The Crown,” playing Lady Diana Spencer, the eventual ill-fated future wife of Prince Charles.
In response to The Crown’s announcement, the Twitter account for Netflix UK and Ireland tweeted: “We have our Diana.”
Corrin, who had a bit part in British drama “Grandchester” and will soon appear in the Epix series “Pennyworth,” said she was “beyond excited” to be joining the cast.
The news from Netflix was confirmed on Twitter in a statement from the actress, in which she expressed her excitement for the opportunity. According to executive producer Peter Morgan, Corrin was chosen for both her talent and her resemblance to Diana.
Corrin is expected to make her Crown debut in 2020, when the fourth series arrives. Season three is expected to appear on the streaming platform later this year and will span the years 1964 to 1976.
The Grantchester actress took to Instagram to share the exciting news, writing:
“I have been glued to the show and to think I’m now joining this incredibly talented acting family is surreal. Princess Diana was an icon and her effect on the world remains profound and inspiring. To explore her through Peter Morgans writing is the most exceptional opportunity and I will strive to do her justice!”
Fans of the show – which also stars Olivia Colman as the Queen, Tobias Menzies as Prince Philip and Helena Bonham Carter as Princess Margaret – have been waiting for this news with bated breath. After waiting for two seasons, Lady Diana Spencer will be brought to life in the Netflix series, set to span “the Wilson era,” according to The Sunday Times, meaning this season will take place between 1964 and 1976 – when former UK Prime Minister Harold Wilson was in office. But Vanity Fair says the season is set to begin in the 1970s.
Beginning in the 1940s, The Crown has already covered almost two decades of English history, following Queen Elizabeth from her marriage to Prince Philip to the birth of her son, Prince Edward. Season 3 will take us all the way until 1976, and this time Olivia Colman will portray the monarch. When season 4 picks up, it will practically be modern day — so, no, it’s not too early to start speculating who will be playing Meghan Markle.
Emma Corrin Quick Facts
- Emma Corrin is a fan of The Crown
- Corrin, from Tunbridge Wells in Kent, is a Cambridge graduate and has previously appeared in Grantchester on ITV.
- Her mother Juliette, is a speech and language therapist. Her father Christopher, a businessman.
- She has two younger brothers, Richard, and Charles.
- According to her agency, Waring & McKenna, Emma trained at the prestigious University of Cambridge.
- She attended St John’s College and was actively involved in dramatic productions such as Romeo and Juliet, Lily, and Unravelling the Ribbon.
- Corrin will appear next as Esme in the upcoming 10-part Warner Brothers/EPIX series Pennyworth. Set in 1960s London, Pennyworth chronicles former SAS Soldier Alfred Pennyworth – better known as the butler to Bruce Wayne in the Batmen series. She will also make her big screen debut later this year in Misbehaviour, a film about a group of women who hatch a plan to disrupt the 1970 Miss World beauty competition, starring Keira Knightley and Keeley Hawes.
Princess Diana was just 36 when she was killed in a 1997 car crash in France, a year after her divorce from Prince Charles. The couple was married for 15 years before their split, which means their married years are likely the main focus come season 4.
Emma Corrin has said she will “strive to do justice” to Diana with her on-screen portrayal, and has paid tribute to the “profound effect” of the late princess’ work.
“Emma is a brilliant talent who immediately captivated us when she came in for the part of Diana Spencer. As well as having the innocence and beauty of a young Diana, she also has, in abundance, the range and complexity to portray an extraordinary woman who went from anonymous teenager to becoming the most iconic woman of her generation,” The Crown creator Peter Morgan told The Hollywood Reporter.
- Emma Corrin Biography and Profile