Filipe Nyusi Early Life
Filipe Nyusi (Filipe Jacinto Nyusi) was born on February 9, 1959, in Namau, Mueda District, Cabo Delgado province. He has four children and is married to Isaura Gonçalo Ferrão, a native of Tete, Tete province. Filipe Nyusi is a manager, is a politician, was a student and teacher, is a father.
The story of Nyusi’s life is the story of a man willing to win and will to learn. He is the son of peasant fathers, Jacinto Nyusi Chimela and Angelina Daima, both already deceased, and who have greatly inspired him on his personal and professional journey.
Nyusi has a great experience as a manager. You know the country because your life has been made by accumulating experiences. He was born, studied and lived in several places and went through foreign universities in Europe and Asia.
Filipe Nyusi Biography and Profile
In 1973 he joined the ranks of the Mozambique Liberation Front, having made his political-military preparation in Nachinguea. In this center belonged to the 3rd platoon of the small, in a group of 50 young people where most only spoke Nyungwe. Nyusi, in just one week, has also been communicating in this language. Throughout his life he would eventually have contact and develop knowledge of other languages, such as Portuguese, English or Czech, in addition to the Maconde, mother tongue.
In 1974 he completed the primary studies at the FRELIMO Educational Center in Tunduro, Tanzania. And the following year he attended one of the most striking episodes of his life: the hoist of the flag at the solemn ceremony of proclamation of national independence, by Comrade President Samora Machel.
Shortly afterwards he enrolled at the Frelimo High School in Mariri. He finished secondary school in the city of Beira, at Samora Machel School, in 1982. He then obtained a scholarship and attended the mechanical engineering course at the military-VAAZ Academy in Brno, Czech Republic, and was awarded the title of Master in Engineering in 1990. He had previously attended the 2nd year of Electrotechnical Engineering at the Eduardo Mondlane University in Maputo. He attended more courses and short-term stages of iron-port operations in the United States of America, Swaziland and South African Republic.
His academic life continued and in 1999 he went to England, where he obtained a postgraduate degree in management from the University of Victoria in Manchester.
His ambition for knowledge remained. Four years later secured the certificate in management by the Indian Institute of Management in Amadbad, Gujarat State in India.
Filipe Nyusi Worked in the Railways of Mozambique
Professionally, Filipe Nyusi worked in the railways of Mozambique, in Nampula, between 1992 and 2007, having been assistant Chief of service between 1992 and 1993; Rail director from 1993 to 1995 and executive Director from 1995 to 2007. He was transferred to Maputo, where he served as executive administrator between 2007 and 2008.
Nampula Rail Club
In 2004, as the leader of the Nampula Rail Club, he helped lead the team to win the national championship and the Mozambique Cup in consecutive years.
In 2008, Nyusi was challenged to provide a service to the Fatherland: he was appointed Minister of National Defense, a position he exerted to date, was in his time that in addition to the five-year plan of the Government, the logistics of the FADM was improved, infrastructures were rehabilitated and reequipment processes of the three branches were returned, the flow of training in military education institutions increased; The Superior Institute of Defense Studies was created Lieutenant General Armando Emílio Guebuza, the Civic service of Mozambique was institutionalised, which is complementary to the military service; Logistics areas in general were significantly improved. In this way, the military’s self-esteem has been increased expressively.
Before it had made a different contribution to the formation of the youth of our country, his passion: He was a part-time professor in the Department of Mathematics, in the delegation of the Pedagogical university, in Nampula, between 2002 and 2007.
National Liberation Struggle
He participated in the National liberation struggle, and is now a member of the Association of Combatants of the national liberation Struggle and its national committee.
In 1990 he was awarded an honorable mention in the Czech Republic.
His partisan life is also exemplary: he was a member of the Provincial Committee of the Frelimo party in Nampula, until 2008. In 2012 he was elected in the 10th Congress as a member of the party’s maximum organ among Congresses: The CENTRAL COMMITTEE OF the FRELIMO PARTY.
Filipe Nyusi Quick Facts
- In 1992, Filipe Nyusi began his professional career at the Mozambique Ports and Railways Company in Nampula.
- Between 1992 and 1993 he was a worker and assistant to the Head of General Workshop Service.
- From 1993 to 1995 he served as Railway Director;
- From 1995 to 2007 CFM-Norte Executive Director.
- In 1999, he took a postgraduate degree in Senior Management from Vitoria University in Manchester, United Kingdom.
- In 2003, the India Institute of Management (IMM) in Amadbad, Gujarat State, India, has a Certificate in Management Education.
- Other short-term professional courses and work placements in Swaziland, South Africa and the United States of America.
- From 2002 to 2008, he was a part-time teacher at the Pedagogical University in Nampula, Department of Mathematics.
- For three years, he was a member of the Center for Higher Education in Science and Technology in Nampula Province.
- From 2007 to 2008 he served as Executive Director of the Portos e Railways Company of Maputo, in the area of Business Exploration,
- In 2008 he is appointed Minister of National Defense.
- From 1995 to 2005, Filipe Jacinto Nyusi was President of the Nampula Railway Club.
- In 2004, Filipe Nyusi led the Nampula Railway Club to win the title of National Champion of Mozambique.
- In 1973, 14-year-old Filipe Jacinto Nyusi joined the ranks of the Liberation Front of Mozambique (FRELIMO) and made his military political preparation at the Nachingwea Center in Tanzania.
- As a continuator, he was part of the group that represented the students of the Tunduru Educational Center, to brighten the celebration of the proclamation of National Independence, on June 25, 1975, at Machava Stadium, in Maputo, proclaimed by the late President Samora Moisés Machel.
- Filipe Nyusi is a member of the National Liberation Fighting Combatants Association (ACLLN) and a member of its national committee. He was a member of the Provincial Committee of Nampula; Nyusi is a member of the Central Committee, elected by the 10th Congress in 2012.
- In 2014, Comrade Filipe Jacinto Nyusi was elected at the III Ordinary Session of the Central Committee, a FRELIMO candidate for President of the Republic of Mozambique.
- In 2014 is elected President of the Republic.
- Filipe Jacinto Nyusi is the father of 4 children, married to Isaura Ferrão Nyusi.
Mozambique’s President Filipe Nyusi and the leader of the main opposition party Renamo have signed a permanent ceasefire agreement designed to put an end to almost half a century of hostilities that killed more than a million people at their peak. Renamo and Nyusi’s ruling party fought on opposing sides of a 16-year civil war before a ceasefire ended the bloodshed in 1992. However, violence has flared up sporadically in the years since then.
Thursday’s 2 August 2019 agreement is one step in a process that will culminate in the signing of a broader agreement in the country’s capital Maputo next week, expected to occur amid much fanfare but its effectiveness remains to be seen.
Nyusi said Mozambique was opening a new, more promising chapter free from the war and conflict that had slowed its development. “Gorongosa is no longer associated with violence,” he told the crowd.
Filipe Jacinto Nyusi Biography and Profile